Monday, March 9, 2009

Soundwave + The Cat Empire

Okay, so this happened a couple of weeks back, but I never got around to posting it. I'm at uni now, and have about 10 minutes to spare (first day baaacckkk!!!), so I'll deal now.

SOUNDWAVE FESTIVAL

Awesomeness in a box, was held out at eastern creek raceway on Sunday the 28th...? or 29th..?.. anyway, it was 2 Sundays ago. Awesome lineup! Rocked hard, got knocked around. About 5 and a half hours of actual moshing and ear destruction. But it was awesome fun, with lots of great bands. Did some damage to my ears, which were ringing for 4 days. I'll make sure I use earplugs at least some of the time next time. 6 stages of rock awesome, great bands. Couldnt get everywhere I wanted, but I saw most of what I wanted to see. All of the bands, may I say, had mad chops.

So a blow by blow account;

Arrival ~11am
Got out to Eastern Creek at 11am. Was in the line for a whole hour. Think 20 000 people going through an entrance the length of 2 cars. Not pretty, and the whole affair smelt of wet dog. Picture really says it all.


Silverstein ~12:15pm
The first act was a Canadian band called Silverstein. They were really good. Like REALLY good. Also told off security for being a bunch of jerks. +1 for Silverstein. Awesome sound. Great mosh to start the day.


Evergreen Terrace ~1pm
Mad awesome straight-edge metal fun. Circle pit? Yes. Smash pit? Yes. Awesome? Yes. You just jump and headbang and run around in circles and.....ah it was just awesome.


Anberlin ~3pm
Best act of the day. And thats not just cause I was a die hard fan. They performed a bunch of jumpy quick songs, and executed them very well. Woohoooot. Really great crowd too, and...well, just an epic performance.


Finch ~4:30pm
The sloppiest of the bands I saw, but still awesome. Crowd went OFF. Having about 500 people around you screaming out he words with you feels awesome. The band only recently came out of hiatus, so it was a treat to see a band I thought had gone for good.


Funeral For a Friend ~5:30pm
Their last two albums SUCKED. But they decided to completely skip the bad songs and do their old awesome stuff, and the handful of good songs off their latest album. The lead singer singing "I just called to say I love you," was also hilarious.


Lacuna Coil ~6:15pm
Like their virtues or not, Lacuna coil ripped out a really good set. I watched this from a distance (not in the mosh like I was with the rest), and just listened. It was GOOD. At about this point night was beginning to come down. Also saw quite a few stoned people. Funny, but dont do drugs.




So about here the day sort of ended, for about 4-5 more hours we watched some acts on the main stage from a distance, which included Billy Talent, Alice in Chains and NIN. I wasnt really a fan of these bands, but heck, I paid to come. And they were pretty tight.

Few more photos...







Got home at maybe 1am that night. Incredible. My ears rang and rang and rang for like 4 days, until Thursday night.. (and now I segway into..)

THE CAT EMPIRE

At Wollongong uni hall. AWESOME... So lets go over this one, their support band was a band from Europe called "Paprika Balkanicus." They were great, just plain fun. well coordinated and hilarious. Great music they played too. They were a treat. But the real stars of course, were the Empire.

I've never seen percussion done so well. I've never seen... well anything like it, except the last time. It was a great great night. Fun and musically incredible. I cant say much more there.



A highlight was running into the band's keyboardist on the way home. We stopped at a servo and saw him! YEEHAW!

Coldplay coming up in a couple weeks time as well. I am psyched! Should be really good.

Thats all from me.

No comments: