Saturday, August 2, 2008

SCBA

Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus. Quite similar to your Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus, but functions as an open circuit, not a closed one. Holds 2400L of compressed air, pressure of 300 bars, has a warning whistle at 50-55 bars. Its full duration is 67 minutes, its working duration is 57 minutes. We consume air at 40L per minute on average when we do normal things.

What a wonderful week. I got my first taste of my BA suit. The first time when we were moving around in a dark room trying to scout the room, I wasn't used to the breathing and I started to feel my breathing was heavy. It became hard to breathe in other words. That on top of my cylinder getting caught in guidelines between teams moving back and forth. I panicked. So the second activity, it was a roughly 1m x 1m maze, fit with obstacles like half windows, half diagonal windows, circular windows, ladders, a long tunnel, a sliding gate and ramps. This one was more like a hamster climbing through a maze, but it was lighted. Then they turned off the lights, and put on the smoke. World of difference. More fun, but also scarier in a sense.

Also, I slid down a fireman's pole. I guess I'm all qualified now hur hur. 2 more months of dry drills and 3 months of fun. Can't wait for the wet drills. Fight the fire guys, fight the fire.

~xiong

No comments: